Pages

Go Outside and Watch the Stars

365::225 - The Dark Half
Darren Kirby

I like looking at the stars.

When I was still studying, I remember that when I walked home, I often looked at the night sky and tried to see the stars. But most of the time, I couldn't see any.

We're all familiar with air pollution, land pollution, and even noise pollution. Another less-mentioned type of pollution is light pollution. I'm not really sure what are the main effects of this type of pollution, but one consequence is that the night sky becomes too illuminated, reducing the visibility of the stars, moon, and other celestial objects. This effect is very prominent in highly industrialized and busy cities, as you can see in the photo below.

Southern sky, country vs. city

As technology continues to develop, we become more industrialized, and sadly, light pollution is a side effect of this modernization.

So, in the midst of our busy lives, go outside on a clear night sky, bring along your special someone, friends, family, neighbors, and even your pet, and just watch the stars. You might even get to see a falling star, wish upon it, and your dreams might just come true.

No comments: