Pages

Go Outside and Wakeskate

wakeskate

There was I time when I became very interested in boards, that is, skateboarding, surfing, wakeboarding, and the like. Among these, I was only able to try skateboarding, although I didn't become good at it. Plus, I needed to stop because of scoliosis. So, eventually, my interest waned. But just recently, I saw this amazing and beautiful video via Colossal.




This video was made by Redbull.

At first, I thought that this is just wakeboarding. Then, I noticed that the board used in this video had griptape on it. Back then, I remember that I was so amazed when I saw a video of some surfer doing a kickflip with his surfboard. I thought that that must had been very difficult considering that a surfboard had less grip than a skateboard. And I didn't think that putting griptape on boards used in water was practical. But now, they're doing it. That's just innovative.

A few days passed. I was on a train going home when I saw someone holding the same kind of board used in the video--a wakeboard-sized board with griptape on it. Then, another passenger asked the one holding the board what was that board that he was holding. And that was the first time that I heard of wakeskate.

From Wikipedia, "some of the earliest activity resembling wakeskating dates back to the late 1970s and early 1980s," and wakeskating has actually started to rise during the late 1990s. In the Philippines, wakeskating seems to have been around for a few years already.

To me, this seemingly simple innovation is really astounding. This just proves that sometimes, the simplest ideas can be the most amazing.

I also learned that there are some local wakeskate spots here in the Philippines. I think one is in Lago de Oro Wake Park in Batangas. So, if you want to try something new, wakeskating might be just the challenge you're looking for. Go outside and wakeskate!

No comments: