Pages

Go Outside and Plant a Tree

Electric Tree by Ned Richards
Ned Richards
Living in a major city is a dream for many people. There, you can find almost everything that is new. But one thing that seems to decline in these cities is the presence of plants. Trees are replaced by buildings. Green becomes gray. I don't particularly like butterflies, but whenever I think about that I rarely see one nowadays, it saddens me a bit. I think that this is one of the small negative effects of having fewer plants and trees.

I live in a small condo unit in a developing city, and I have always thought of having plants in our unit (currently, we only have a plant). However, I haven't actually prioritized doing that yet, and also because I killed almost all the plants that were given to me. So, in line with doing something outside, why don't we go outside and plant a tree!

But you might ask, "How?" Actually, I don't know; I haven't planted a tree yet. So, joining a tree-planting event might be a good start. We get to go outside, meet new people, learn something new, and plant a tree!

Here in the Philippines, there are a number of groups who organize tree-planting events. Even, the Philippine government, through the Department of Environment and Natural Resources, apparently has a National Greening Program, which aims to plant 1.5 billion trees covering about 1.5 million hectares by 2016. But if you're like me who doesn't know how to plant a tree, we can start by reading these instructions on how to plant a tree.

No comments: